Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hawaii--Day 3

Okay...I know I've skipped Day 2 in Hawaii...I had uploaded them to my computer but got distracted when packing and forgot my power cord so those pictures are stuck on my "dead" computer until we get home. Luckily, Brooke brought one of Greg's old laptops too!

On our third day in Hawaii, I took the girls to Pearl Harbor. We started off with a visit to the USS Arizona Memorial. We also toured the USS Missouri:
Us ready for the tour.

Brooke and Candace with Pearl Harbor survivors, Sterling R. Cale and Alfred Benjamin Kameeiamoku Rodrigues. Sterling had completed his night duty and had signed out but did see the Japanese planes (thinking it was a mock attack at first). Benjamin was on duty and was eating breakfast. He was issued a .30 caliber rifle and started shooting at the planes as they passed overhead (he could see the faces of the Japanese pilots as they were flying really low).

They also met survivor Herb Weatherwax. Herb was on a weekend pass when Pearl Harbor came under attack by Japanese forces.

The girls dropped a flower in memory of the deceased below the memorial.

In the USS Arizona Memorial.

Saluting outside the USS Missouri.

Brooke and Candace were excited to see a New Mexico flag.

On the USS Missouri ship's deck.

The girls wanted to see what it was like to sleep in the bunks on the USS Missouri.

The stairs we had to walk up and down on were more like ladders and were very steep.

Candace :-)

Inside the ship.

This picture is for the relatives living in MO :-)


TetVet68 said...

Remember Pearl Harbor -- Keep America Alert!

America's oldest living Medal of Honor recipient, living his 100th year is former enlisted Chief Petty Officer, Aviation Chief Ordnanceman (ACOM), later wartime commissioned Lieutenant John W. Finn, U. S. Navy (Ret.). He is also the last surviving Medal of Honor, "The Day of Infamy", Japanese Attack on the Hawaiian Islands, Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii, 7 December 1941.

'Navy Centenarian Sailor', 103 year old, former enlisted Chief Petty Officer, Aviation Chief Radioman (ACRM, Combat Aircrewman), later wartime commissioned Chief Warrant Officer Julio 'Jay' Ereneta, U. S. Navy (Ret.), is a thirty year career veteran of World War One and World War Two. He first flew aircrewman in August 1922; flew rearseat Radioman/Gunner (1920s/1930s) in the tactical air squadrons of the Navy's first aircraft carriers, USS LANGLEY (CV-1) and USS LEXINGTON (CV-2).

Visit my photo album tribute to these veteran shipmates:


San Diego, California

NYCmom said...

Wow! Looks like a lot of fun...wish we could be there with you. Thanks for the MO shout out! :) Keep the pictures coming. I love seeing what you're doing.