French Banana Cake Recipe

I was asked to make two 2-layer French Banana Cakes for Valerie Payne's wedding (Jeni Payne had her friends make a bunch of different cakes for the reception). It's basically frosted banana bread (according to Greg) but it's ohhhh so yummy. I didn't decorate it fancy (no time for that). Here's the recipe and a picture of one of the tables covered with the different cakes...

French Banana Cake

2/3 C. shortening
1 2/3 C. sugar
2 3/4 C. flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 C. ripe bananas (mashed)
2/3 C. buttermilk
2 eggs
1 C. chopped walnuts (optional)

In large mixing bowl, combine shortening and sugar. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well. Add bananas and half of the buttermilk. Beat vigorously 20 times. Add eggs and remaining buttermilk stirring well.

Bake in a greased and floured 13x9x2" pan at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until toothpick poked in center comes out clean. Let cool. Frost with buttercream frosting when cooled.

Buttercream Frosting

1/2 C. butter or margarine (at room temperature)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 T. - 3 T. water
3 C. powdered sugar

Combine butter and vanilla in mixing bowl. Alternate adding powdered sugar and water—adjusting amount of water used to get a creamy consistency. Mix well.

NOTE: I made two 8" round layers with this recipe. I doubled the frosting ingredients for the 2-layer version.

Comments

NYCmom said…
YUM!!! I can't wait to try it!
Missty said…
Looks like we have the same or very similar recipe! I LOVE it, and make it when my bananas are needing used up! Yum!!
I do not like bananas much, but enjoy cooking especially food cake. Meetings not very good that this will taste like
I will write again on his blog about this subject when completed
Thanks